Friday, March 25, 2011

Awkward encounters

This evening I had another awkward encounter at our local Walgreens pharmacy.

Before I continue on with my story I should probably clarify that as a reference librarian for the life sciences, pharmacy and medicine I have the opportunity to interact with pre-med, medical and pharmacy students. I love this part of my job, but it sometimes creates for strange encounters at pharmacy's and clinics.

So as has happened before, this evening I went to Walgreen's to pick up a prescription. I handed the prescription to the pharmacist and he says, "I know you." I didn't recognize him. Luckily he offered information as to our acquaintance. "I spent a day last year in your office getting research assistance." I looked at his name and I did remember (often times I don't) this particular fellow. Then followed the awkward small talk. He asked about the twins, even guessing at their age. Geesh.

On other visits, after thinking I was home free and unrecognized will come the question, "Are you married to Clay?" Yes I am. "I was in his blah blah class." Double geesh. Now that you know all that ails me, please let me escape quietly.

But the encounters of all encounters happened while I was in labor with Simon & Oliver. Let me set the scene.

I was in the last 45 minutes of my record-shattering birth-two-babies-in-135-minutes labor. I was in fine form and we had just arrived at the hospital 10 minutes earlier. I was sitting on the birthing ball making the most of my horse-lips technique. Ferguson's reflex was coming on strong. And then there was a tap on my shoulder. It was a young lady who wanted to know if she could sit in on the labor and delivery. Yes. And she had a couple of questions for me. Okay. And she was a pre-med student at UMD and Clay had been her professor. Great!

I just can't hide (oh, it was all okay though, because she was super sweet and so happy to be there)

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Is the horse-lips technique to help keep you from pushing and the Ferguson's Reflex the immense need to push against a contraction? I ask because my doula made me blow out my mouth like a horse so I wouldn't push when I was in labor with my daughter. I can't believe you birthed both boys in 135 minutes. Was that drug-free? My, my childbirth is crazy, huh?

The Food Librarian said...

Wow. Them some close quarters you are living in! Just wait til these students come up to the kids and say "I saw you being born!" :) - mary

jstinmn said...

This is what you get for living and working in this big town/little city. Just remember, if you ever need a ride home just go to Mount Royal around 5:00 pm, you're bound to run into someone you know (or maybe even had Clay as a professor or watched your boys being born). :)